Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Wardrobe Wednesday!

Two front pieces, one completed sleeve,
and another in process on my
Definitely In Africa Cardi.
While the current Hot Fun In the Summertime along is nearing an end (Sunday the 31st is the last day to post finished projects, everyone!), a look at the current state of my Definitely In Africa cardigan, as well as doing some electronic housecleaning the other day, made me think about how I came to my current place of wanting to make more of my own wardrobe, which dovetails with my year-long celebration of designing for the last five years.

In April of 2011 (!), I blogged about my aspirations as part of the second Knitting and Crochet Blog week. I actually put my hands to my face when I re-read the post - I cannot believe how spot-on I was in terms of my strengths. At the time, I shared a portion of a list of designs I wanted to make, as well as a book I created of 20 Vogue Knitting designs. I still have the book as well as the list, and although designing has taken center stage, I remain determined to work through many of those designs. It's intriguing, though, that several of the knit lace pieces in the self-created book no longer hold much appeal. I am a crochet lace lover first and foremost, along with most other things within the modern crochet technique arsenal. On the knit side, cables definitely, and good 'ole squishy garter stitch are my continued preoccupations.

I can't believe I still have this list!
I am also struck with the language I used in that post ("systematic, wardrobe-like approach") to describe which fiber techniques I wanted to explore further. I have stated and written previously on many occasions that sewing my wardrobe holds no appeal (along with my deep aversion to socks!). However, creating things both knit and crochet for myself has held a whole lot of appeal for a very long time. It was, however, not until 2011, with the exploration of favorite design elements, that led me to put it all in writing.   

For me, what's been most amazing is how much I enjoy the garment and accessory aspect of my design life. For those who have been following this blog and my fiber career know, I am an interior design junkie, always rearranging my own living space. I thoroughly enjoy designing accessories for my home (as well as creating other artwork for my space); arranging and re-arranging to see things in a fresh light is very satisfying to me. There is nothing more welcoming and comforting than a space with one's own DIY touches throughout, mine included. So to acknowledge that garment design holds an equal appeal is a wee shock. I'm going with it, though!

There is one other thing that I wanted to mention that also sent a shiver through me - the quote I had inserted in my Vogue Knitbook, which I subtitled "Denise's Artful Knitting Project":

                      "Now, let us all take a deep breath and forge on into the future;
                        knitting [and crochet] at the ready."

                                                                                                            The Opinionated Knitter

Five years later, and that breath shows no signs of dissipating.




3 comments:

  1. This post makes me happy. :-)

    One of the things I really enjoy about blogging for myself is being able to go back and see what I was thinking, and how much progress I have actually made on some of my goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely more an in-the-moment blogger, so I probably haven't mined my blog for themes/goals as much as you. Nevertheless, I have been taking more of look back this year, and it's been fascinating!

      Delete
  2. Even if you don't do it regularly (or maybe because you don't do it regularly) looking back to see how far you've come and what has changed is always interesting :)

    ReplyDelete