Saturday, January 1, 2011

And In The Beginning ...

… of 2011, it starts with a painting, a book, and a shawl.

Perpetually Waiting for Spring
Acrylic on Canvas
36" x 48"
Sold, 2010
Initially, the painting. Here is the second painting completed last week before the end of the year. Not only do I love the colors, but at 36” x 48”, it’s the largest painting I’ve completed. 

Next, the book. I have always viewed my creative pursuits – textiles, painting, photography, writing – as intertwined. One usually informs another. Last fall, I was looking for some, how shall I say? textile pattern staying power. While I always think the next great pattern is just around the corner, I was searching for some insight into which patterns already out in the craft world would have long lasting personal appeal.



So, computer mouse at the ready, I headed over to the Vogue Knitting site. In case you weren’t aware, one can create one’s very own customized book of patterns from their online pattern database, which goes back a few years and includes other Soho Publishing magazines. Brilliant!

I spent considerable time going through it, and culled 20 favorites. The results? Overall, I love lace and cables, at least on the page. The test will be in the actual garment- and accessory-making. I have several of my book’s projects in my mental queue for 2011 (along with shawls and crochet projects of various kinds). Stay tuned.

Finally, the shawl. Here is my final shawl for Ravelry’s 10 shawls in 2010 challenge. At number 10, it was the smallest in terms of textile yardage (at just over 276 yards), as well as the quickest, completing it in 8 days flat. That broke all kinds of project speed records for moi. I named it my Café au Lait Stole, since it reminds me of a warm, frothy cuppa.



“Now, let us all take a deep breath and forge on into the future;
knitting [and crochet] at the ready.”

The Opinionated Knitter


Ladies and gentlemen, the New Year is officially on.

1 comment: