Monday, December 1, 2014

(Just Another) Melange Monday

Hello everyone - can you  believe it's December 1st? Where has the year gone

I hope your Thanksgiving was most excellent. Since I'm super busy with completing Leather, Lace, Grit & Grace (and you can go here to see the next design preview installment), I opted for a pared down Thanksgiving dinner. I went with Cornish game hens again this year (my choice this year as opposed to last, when I shopped so late there were no more turkeys to be had), stuffing, potatoes, cranberry sauce, pumpkin tiramisu, and wine. That definitely sounds like plenty, but I usually make a few sides and two desserts, but just.had. no.time. Here are a few photos:


The cranberry sauce is always homemade in my house,
using whatever dried fruit, in addition to the cranberries,
I have on hand. This year's version included cherries,
apricots and a few chopped prunes. The prunes added a
surprising depth of flavor.
Simple, but elegantly delicious.
Even though I needed to make a few last-minute ingredient
substitutions, this pumpkin tiramisu was great. I'll definitely
make it again.
The Mont-Redon is one of only two bottles of Châteauneuf-du-Pape I still have from my grape picking trip to Provence, and this year seemed an appropriate time to crack it open, since I have so much for which to be thankful. I used this recipe for the pumpkin tiramisu with some substitutions because (a) I wasn't on my shopping list game when I hit the store and forgot the mascarpone (so subbed sour cream and upped the brown sugar by 1/4 c) and (b) there were no ladyfingers to be had anywhere, so I opted for vanilla wafers. This still turned out spectacularly, and not too sweet. I will definitely make it again (and actually follow the recipe!). All in all, a tasty meal which was a relaxing joy to prepare. Maybe I'm onto something for future T-days.


***************************************************

And finally, here's what's currently on the hooks for holiday gifts/decorations:


This is slated to become my version of the cover Peppermint Pinwheel Stocking (designed by Mary Beth Temple) from the December issue of iLikeCrochet.com, which will go with my own design from the same issue, the Dainty Snowflake Garland. Look for photos in just a bit.



Finally, this is my progress (well, I've done a few more rows since I snapped this) on a version of Marnie MacLean's Aasha Shawl that will be gifted to a family member at the end of the year. Since it's bottom-up construction, the rows will decrease in size from here on out - a lovely prospect for moi, who has.no.time. Eep!

No comments:

Post a Comment