Friday, March 25, 2011

Fee-Fi(ber)-F.O. Friday

This week I thought I would provide a slightly different fiber perspective - the one from my camera lens.

If any of you didn't know, I love my camera. I love fiber and textiles. I love taking photos of my fiber and textiles. Pretty simple, eh?

As a result of an inspiring exchange during last summer, I did some quick furniture rearranging and I now have a fiber still-life in my living room. It changes constantly, reflecting whatever current projects I'm working on or have planned. This first series of photos is of the still-life, several weeks ago. I was exploring perspective and light, but you'll get that pretty quickly once you see the photos.







And now, two from the other side:





These next two photos were taken on a late autumn afternoon. I really enjoyed all the sunlight, even if it did slightly wash out the shawl colors:





Finally, I leave you with a study of green fiber (a mohair blend and a strand of kidsilk held together) and it's crochet hook:


Happy fiber arts Friday! Definitely check out Andrea's blog and see what everyone else is up to this week.

Oh, and have a superfiberfragilistic weekend. I'll be blogging every day next week as part of the second annual Knitting and Crochet Blogging Week - where you just might see a new F.O. ... or two.

Stay tuned ...


15 comments:

  1. I leave baskets of my yarn around the house because they are so beautiful. Why have them in a tub waiting for a project when guests to the house can pick up the yarn and enjoy the wonderful feel prior to the knitting.

    Lovely photos.
    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you must have the loveliest living room! The shawl-and-flowers is my favorite :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of fiber still life. So beautiful.

    The perspective is fantastic as is your painting. The autumnal colors and texture of the shawl with the greenish curtains behind is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! Love that green. I have a large, clear, cylindrical vase that's filled with balls of yarn on display in my living room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colors of your yarn. The greens and blue grays are my favorite. You are so lucky that your family allows your fiber in the living room!! Mine is confined to my office. Looking forward to your blog next week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @wonderwhygal: That's a great idea, and all your tactile-minded guests must love visiting your house. :)

    @spinster beth: Thanks - I admit I like it ... but I'm feeling some rearranging coming on, including the fiber.

    @kathryn ray: Thanks so much. I don't show that painting too much because it's definitely not for the faint of heart. It just felt like time to show it off - and the fiber helped. :)

    @wordlily: Your yarn vase sounds super! Something like that makes a great centerpiece at events as well (good for giving away). Fiber is so versatile ...

    @Tamara: Thanks - and your family bans your fiber from the living room? Let's hope there's a really good reason for this ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! Thank you for your sweet comment! How great photos you have - and with beautiful yarn! Today I love that fresh green!
    Have a lovely weekend! Teje

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny we posted about interior design with our knitting, but your pictures look so much better! I'd be thrilled to see your daily postings next week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your photo shoot. The changes in light do wonders for promoting your work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Denise--This post really makes me smile. YEARS ago (20+?)..long before I ever thought of making felt, we lived in Baltimore, MD and would attend the annual Sheep and Wool Festival there. I always wanted to buy skeins of slubby, handmade silk and wool yarn, just to put in a wooden bowl on my table for decoration, it was so beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, you got some nice shots there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cool idea. I must admit I have mine stored away out of site. Maybe it's time to get out the baskets and let them out.

    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great pictures as usual Denise! I had a thought of buying one of those crazy huge hurricane votives and putting yarn in there...

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Vivian: I think fiber and interior design go hand-in-hand, no? But you yarn-bombed your living room - how cool is that?!!!

    @Dutch Hollow and Melissa Plank: Thanks so much! Light in the Pacific Northwest (in winter and early spring) is a real challenge. :)

    @Heather Woodlove: And now you spin your own yarny goodness. I'm sure (if you're like me) that you wanted to touch that yarn in the bowl, too.

    @Melissa: Yes - get them out. Release the hounds!

    @Nicole: Go for it - I think yarn in a huge hurricane lamp would look super. Take pics, too. :)

    ReplyDelete