Thursday, March 31, 2011

Not “Where are They Now?” but “What Did They Inspire?” (2KCBWDAY4)

There is no doubt that since 2009 I have been on a creative path. Fiber pursuits, painting, writing and photography have all played an integral part in my life these past few years. While I have crafted, and will continue to craft, items for charity, I’m not certain of their impact and, quite frankly, I like it that way. I believe in letting those knit and crochet items go freely, so that they can be and do whatever it is they were meant to be and do.

There has been a definite link between my fiber efforts and other disciplines. It started in 2009 when, after taking a Tunisian crochet course at Stitches West, I went back home and created a bed cover from my stash.

At the same time, I was exploring painting in a more disciplined manner, having picked up paint brushes for the first time in 2007. A direct result of the Tunisian bed cover I crafted were these two paintings (and there’s a third, a portion of which is visible in the bed cover pic, but I have no decent photo of it):


Those three paintings were a culmination of my individual study of blocks in acrylics, and would have never happened had the crochet inspiration not existed.

The second visual I created related to fiber was a banner and badge for a Ravelry group – the Knitter’s Coffee Swap. The group was looking for new visuals, and a member had a good idea but no artistic skills to execute it. I really liked the idea, sent her a message, one thing led to another, and we created the following together – her idea, my execution in acrylic on canvas, with words digitally added later:


While I haven’t been around the group’s page in a while, it was still being used the last time I checked.

Finally, I like history (and have taught 20th Century U.S. history). I’ve written one article on the history of crochet in the U.S. at the turn of the century for Crochet Insider. I have recently finished another for Crochet Insider, due to be published by the end of the week (the editor/designer, Dora Ohrenstein, publishes quarterly so is pushing for April 1st). Not only will the article spawn my first pattern (fingers and toes crossed!), but it also led me to create a few mixed media pieces, one of which is below:

Not only am I thrilled that Dora is committed to publishing these types of crochet articles, but doubly pleased that the artwork received a warm reception. I can’t know their future impact, but I send them out there much like the charity items, free (within the bounds of law!) to do and be whatever they will.

We are smack dab in the middle of the second annual Knitting and Crochet Blogging Week. What do you hope your fiber creations have inspired or will in future inspire? Definitely let me know in the comments section below and remember – only three days left of this wonderful, wild and woolly Internet madness!

14 comments:

  1. I love that you have a bed cover created from a color study. What a great way to learn and also have something you can use...instead of just a swatch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loooove your bed cover. One day I'll be ambitious enough to knit something that big. I am barely patient enough to crank out a pair of socks sometimes. I also adore your art! It's been so wonderful finding you through KCBW. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your take on this topic. It is interesting to see the process of your projects influencing and inspiring other projects. Congrats on your upcoming publication!

    Like you, I hope that my current and past projects will inspire me to take more risks and be more creative in the future, particularly in the area of design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow all that from a color study, that's kinda cool XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really admire people who are so creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are one creative lady and I admire you for it. Again, your photography is amazing. I bought a light box for small items, but have a finished item sitting at Knit Picks now waiting to be photographed because I just couldn't get decent picture outside of the item, weather was the main cause. I adore your take on color, incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so cool! super creative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find your blog quite inspiring. I especially love the mixed media piece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The paintings are gorgeous! And I love the idea of talking about your inspiration(s).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's awesome that you combined your inspiration for art with today's topic. Yay for art!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never thought of expanding to other media from a project I love. You've given me some serious food for thought! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the mixed media, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh what a multi-talent you are. (and I love your bed cover - it gives me hope that I'll manage my current Tunisian color work - tiny little thing that it is...)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your acrylic block paintings are very good.

    ReplyDelete