Friday, April 15, 2011

An Especially Wonderful Fee-Fi(ber)-F.O. Friday

And it’s especially wonderful for me because my first pattern is done and released (well, let’s hope it’s showing up in the Ravelry database!) – The Melina Clutch. It's perfect for spring (which I know is going to make an appearance in these here parts very soon):


It’s a quick crochet project made of 100% cotton. I used Tahki Cotton Classic, but any dk or worsted weight cotton would work well (and I can think of several organic cottons that would be perfect for this project).

This bag has been in my mind since I did the research for the article I recently published on U.S. crochet history. In my head, it looked like this:


Then I started to work it up using a particular stitch pattern and it wasn’t going anywhere. I was none too pleased with it, or myself, so I set it aside and started working on a few other projects. While working on one of those other projects, I had the face/palm moment when I figured out how to get around the stumbling block on the Melina. It always works that way, doesn’t it? Plan B appears when you least expect it!

I had wanted to publish this pattern closer to the date of the article’s publication, but no matter. What’s a mere 14 days in the life of a clutch – nothing, really.

Happy fiber arts Friday, and definitely check back with Andrea's blog to see who else is joining in on the madcap Friday fun.

15 comments:

  1. What an adorable clutch! Did you line it? It does make me want to get a sundress and big floppy hat out and go to dinner on the beach...ah warm weather, where are you?

    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I'm going to search for it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very neat! Did you line the inside with anything?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice little clutch bag, I particularly like the rectangular buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's gorgeous! What a wonderfully useful purse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute bag. Perfect for summer. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on publishing a new design! The clutch is very stylish & a nice size, too. I will have to get back to learning how to crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for your supportive comments - I'm pretty pleased with myself, I must admit. :)

    @Kepanie: No, I didn't line it, but that's certainly easy enough to do. Maybe in another, future version.

    @Melanie Plank: Thanks - I liked the buttons, too! There's another version I have in my head with a thin shoulder strap - I think that would also work well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very simple, very elegant. Now all you need is a few warm days so you can carry it with something light and spring-y!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your first published pattern. It is lovely.

    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's the wonderful thing about design. It starts out as one thing, but then becomes something better.

    I agree, it goes perfect with a summer dress and a big hat. Which means it's perfect for a Kentucky Derby party. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely clutch and I love the buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the clutch it's so cute. I wish I could crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just saw this in the database over at Ravelry as I was browsing for new patterns and ideas for things. ^_^ I didn't realize it was one of your designs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Denise--You should let me know if you ever want to do a swap with me like I did with Andrea! XXO-

    ReplyDelete