Friday, May 20, 2011

A Lovely Fee-Fi(ber)-F.O. Friday

Well, I have another shawl to share with everyone on this gloriously sunny Friday in the Pacific Northwest.

The making of my Springtime Lilac Shawl was a spur-of-the-moment decision earlier this week. Yes, earlier this week.  I actually completed this shawl in four days. I do believe I’m now ready for Olympic track sprints.

I had the yarn in my stash, the book on my shelf, and the beads in my craft corner – what else does a crafty gal need? This pattern, the Juliette Shawl from Creating Crochet Fabric, is easy, yet interesting. Since I also completed it pretty much by utilizing only the charts (I did refer to the written instructions once or twice when I encountered a few small inconsistencies in the charting sequence), it was something of a mindless crochet. Reading charts as mindless crochet – go figure.

In any event, this early morning picture above might be somewhat dark, but it does capture the hint of attractive sheen in the Louisa Harding Merletto yarn. (I've provided a link to a retail site in the face of virtually no fiber information on Harding's own site.) It’s got a small amount of linen content, so
it’s also slightly fuzzy around the edges. I did find this yarn incredibly splitty when crocheting; this might not be the same when knitting.

All in all – a very quick, satisfying and pretty project with just a little added amethyst bling on the bottom. I’ll take it!

I hope everyone has had a satisfyingly crafty week. Definitely check back with Andrea's blog to see the results.

13 comments:

  1. I can't believe you did that entire shawl with beading in just four days! It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you did the shawl in four days either. Maybe I should give crochet a try.

    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4 days? For Real?? That's awesome!

    I haven't tried crochet charts and have only tried knit charts once. It was not a pleasent experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful shawl in a great color. The yarn looks soft and comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! So each row is an increase in the number of dcs in the shells?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...you are amazingly fast!! You're right...you'd be a gold medal winner in the knitting Olympics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous color! I was so excited to see you had made this shawl, as I have already recently completed it, too, and I think the pattern is great! Mine is golden-colored.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous work as always, Denise! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful and the color is gorgeous. Isn't it weird how some yarns seem to work better for knitting-v-crochet, etc? I've been learning that with weaving too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful shawl! I love the way light coming from the side in the first picture, the glorious Pacific Northwest indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are making me want to crochet MORE shawls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely shawl, lovely stand and gorgeous, atmospheric background. I am a bit biased towards the background though :)

    ReplyDelete