Friday, September 16, 2011

A Little Bit 'O Blonde This Fee-Fi(ber)-F.O. Friday

I received a really great package in the mail this week. It contained this lovely laceweight hemp yarn.

I'm a big Blonde Chicken Boutique fan; I met Tara Swiger (yes, she's the Blonde Chicken!) during last December's Urban Craft Uprising event; I purchased some of her fiber - and of course, blogged about it at the time.

I'm happy to report that Tara is sending me yarn for a specific purpose - I'll be creating one of my designs, using her wonderful hemp laceweight, for the Fresh Designs Crochet Home book that is slated to be published sometime in the second half of next year. Yeah Cooperative Press for having the good sense to accurately interpret the crafty tea leaves: more households crochet than knit. Yes, folks, it's true according to the most recent Craft and Hobby Industry research.

It's fun to get yarn in the mail - especially when given to design with!

If you should ever have the opportunity to purchase Blonde Chicken Boutique yarn, I would urge you to go for it. Tara strives to be a responsible environmental steward while creating her wonderfully colored yarns, and she's probably got a story or two from the local fiber-producing farmers in her area.

Ok, everyone: you know the drill! Check back with Andrea's blog, and make certain you leave your bloggy footprint with everyone else this Fiber Arts Friday.

11 comments:

  1. That yarn looks delicious! I have some hemp to spin. I have been wanting to try it for some time and got a few ounces. I actually intend to weave with the yarn I create from it. I totally have back shower scrubby in mind. I can't wait to see what design you create with that beautiful yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That yarn looks beautiful, love the colour :) And getting yarn parcels through the post certainly makes my day too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a really pretty yarn! Look forward to seeing your design in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo very nice looking yarn. Fiber surprises are always my favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wait with anticipation to see what you design with it!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes! My favorite parcels contain yarn, fiber or books. :-)

    I've been following the Blonde Chicken on Twitter for a few years now. I've enjoyed watching her go from employee to fiber matron. :-)
    Congratulations on your new project. I'm sure you'll keep us up to date as publishing gets closer. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The yarn looks awesome! I'm glad to hear we'll both be in the Fresh Designs series (I'll be in the Kids book). My yummy yarn stuff hasn't arrived yet, so I'll just have to look at yours until it does :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that color. What is it called? Can't wait to see what you design for it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That hemp yarn is a beautiful color according to my monitor. I'm wondering about the feel of the hemp yarn. Is it soft? Or is it slightly stiff like linen or flax?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Everyone:

    Thanks for your comments on both the hemp yarn and the Fresh Crochet Design book project. I'm pretty excited about it. :) Just keep in mind that there are looooooooong wait times between project acceptance and publish date. Don't expect to see this anytime prior to the third quarter of 2012.

    In terms of the hemp - it's got a linen-like feel, and is slightly stiff in it's pre-project state. It will soften and relax with use and washing. One can always hasten that process by soaking it (once the object is finished) in a cool water bath with some hair conditioner.

    Finally, the colorway is called Azalea. Perfect, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for writing about my yarn! I can't wait to see what you make with it!

    ReplyDelete