Friday, September 9, 2011

Containing Things This Fee-Fi(ber)-F.O. Friday

The bottom detail on my new 
rectangular yarn basket.
Once the Labor Day weekend hits each year, I usually go into reorganization mode. You know, fall cleaning and household crap purging.

Yarn wrangling was definitely the order of the day, so a part of this year's fall reorganization needed to include yarn containers. Using this Chunky Basket pattern as a template, I crafted two - one circular, and one rectangular.


Holding two strands of worsted weight cotton together, these baskets worked up lickity-split. At 4 1/2" high and about 14" in length and diameter, they also hold a whole lotta yarny goodness.They add a shot of clean white - and of course, I can look at more of my stash while I use it.

Additionally, I've been saving all of the yarn labels from the fiber I use with the thought that they would eventually find their way into some art. I also had an old wood box that I've had, like, forever, that needed a make-over. So, after painting the bottom of it with a little phthalo blue acrylic paint, as well as finding a theme in some of the yarn names (sprout, grass, dune, and of course that Noro "world of nature"), I present my first decoupage attempt:


This is the first time I've used Modge Podge, and I've concluded that I like using gel medium much better to afix things (I painted gel medium on top of the labels, that's why they're slightly shiny). Nevertheless, it's kind of neat to see the labels in my living room - it reminds me of some wonderful projects (can anyone say Inspira Cowl?).

Don't forget to check back with Andrea's blog to see how everyone else is wrangling their respective yarn this Fiber Arts Friday. And Andrea - I'm back on the shawl, so it shouldn't be too much longer now.  

16 comments:

  1. The basket is beautiful! I love that our yarn can be displayed in the house while waiting to be used...much better than tubs. The decoupage is a great idea! So many yarn labels are just as beautiful as the yarn so I can see why you would want to save them. Here's to another productive weekend. Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. both your storage ideas are inspiring. I've had a similar crocheted basket planned for a while and should really get to it. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that's a great way to save and upcycle those attractive yarn labels and your baskets are very handy looking! (I have been busy with re-org and purge myself, it must be the season.)
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat idea. I will have to start saving my labels. I usually throw them out and then can't remember what the yarn was! Neat baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet baskets! The double-stranded cotton must give them a nice firm body. Anything that inspires more organization is a good thing, but when you made the organizing things too -- priceless :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very creative to make the baskets in white, they show off the colorful yarns very well. And beautiful photos as always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute idea...using your yarn labels for decoupage. Love your little baskets too.

    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These baskets are lovely - shall you starch them if they get floppy ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Feeling the reorganization bug here too. I even rearranged the furniture in my office at work today. Your basket is very nice. Enjoy gazing upon your stash. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful baskets!! I've wondered about the floppiness, too. Are they pretty firm?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your new baskets!! (I have a particular fondness for bowls and baskets of every kind, and I especially love knitted ones...fulled or no!)
    Have a wonderful weekend and enjoy your 'sorted' world!! XXO-

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the baskets! I've been planning to make some for bathroom knick-knacks and seeing yours has given me some fresh ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your containers! I applaud your first attempt at decoupage as well :).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the baskets - they are gorgeous. And terrific work with the decoupage. I really like the use of the labels in art. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your decoupage yarn labels reminded me of those country labels that you used to see on people's luggage... you know, back when traveling was romantic. ;-)

    ReplyDelete