Sunday, May 15, 2011

My Bloggy Food Week Wrap-Up

$11.50 doesn't buy very much
Well, I’ve done it. I’ve survived Mumma Troll's $1.64-a-day challenge (that’s the equivalent of feeding oneself on one British pound per day). I can’t say it’s looking very pretty at the end because I’m out of coffee, butter, veggies and fruit (and didn’t have any fruit to start with) – but I did it.

Lessons learned? Well, I can’t successfully feed myself on that small an amount of money for any length of time. Unlike those who live in poverty (and in the U.S., feed themselves with U.S. Department of Agriculture food stamps each month), I had a pantry stocked with staples that I could have used (and for breakfast did) to make my food dollar go farther. At some point you have to replenish your pantry stash, but if you’re surviving on such a small food budget, you never get that opportunity. You are consistently behind the food eight ball.

It is also a juggling act to feed oneself nutritiously and mindfully on such a minimal budget. I would have loved to make different, more civically and environmentally conscientious purchases but could not. The financial bottom line was the driving force, and that cannot be a good thing for one’s mind, body and soul for any length of time.

Anyone for some tuna noodle casserole?

I really want a piece of fruit – almost any one will do. I will savor that first bite of apple or pear or orange, and can absolutely imagine how good fresh fruit must taste to anyone living on such a paltry sum.

I’ve also absolutely enjoyed everyone’s input and comments on this week’s food odyssey. What a pleasure to hear how and where you make your food purchases. I love to cook and bake, so everything about food pleases me. I was thrilled to hear that many of you take pleasure in it as well. Good food, whether in the field or at the table, has the ability to bring people together and get them talking about what matters to them. There’s a lot, culturally, wrapped up in food. This week I’ve gotten a little peek at what animates some of you, food-wise, and for that I am most appreciative.

The money I saved on this week’s shopping I wound up donating to my Great American Bake sale fundraiser (which went well in the sunshine yesterday). While my overall bake sale total was not as great as two years ago, I was nevertheless thrilled with everyone who walked by and just gave a donation – no baked good needed. I was also very thankful for receiving donations from local businesses as well as a baking donation from a community member. Way to go, everyone!

And now, back to our regularly scheduled dose of all things fiber, art and craft. Just don’t be surprised to see more food-related posts cause, hey, it’s my bloggy party, right?

5 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased you were able to take part in m y little challenge. I hope you had fun, but like you I'm already shovelling the fruit in. I think my digestive system is thankful for it,lol.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you are glad that is over! You managed to eat better than I thought you would, but I wouldn't want to do it. Whenever things have been tight here and we had to eat extra cheap for a week or two, I always gain weight. It seems like it would be the opposite, but I think the cheaper food is just more fattening and less healthy. And we don't eat anything fancy, but I do love my fruits and veggies and chicken breasts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have lived like that in the past (necessity, not a project) and it's not fun. We relied heavily on hunting for meat and growing our own veggies. We also canned a lot of food. Granted, it was difficult but when you work at it (growing, hunting, etc) you can get the nutrition because you are finding it yourself, not relying on buying it somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are awesome to try this challenge out. Much kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a subject that really depresses the hell out of me--everyone deserves to be able to eat healthy, but many people can't. I'm always grateful whenever I shop in our hippie co-op because we can afford to eat healthy, organically, sustainably, blah blah blah. Some larger cities are starting programs where foodstamps are worth more if you spend them at farmer's markets, which is pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete