Friday, November 7, 2014

All Kinds of Fibery Things This Fee-Fi(ber)-F.O. Friday

Hello everyone - happy Friday! Can you believe it's only three weeks to Thanksgiving here in the U.S.? And then just a few short weeks until Christmas? Where oh where has the year gone? Where oh where can it be?

I'm going to start with all things holiday, which includes my latest published pattern in iLikeCrochet.com - the Dainty Snowflake Garland:

photograph (c) iLikeCrochet.com - used with kind permission


All of these different snowflakes are from one master motif! Stopping after various rounds yields amazingly different results. All of them are made with several different Lion Brand Yarns (a primer, if you will), which I blogged about here in July. As you'll see (I hope) from my photo at the right, the garland is studded with silver-lined beads for a little bit of extra sparkly. I used some spray starch + a steam iron on the larger snowflakes for just some slight stiffness, but these snowflakes are meant to be relaxed, no stiff-as-a-board motifs here. I used several different yarn weights, so they will look good made with just about any yarn weight you have lying around the house.

I must also provide a shout-out to iLikeCrochet.com for putting together an AMAZING holiday issue. If you are looking for DIY crochet decorating ideas, I would highly suggest you download this issue. Personally, I'm in love with the large stocking on the cover from Mary Beth Temple:

photo (c) iLikeCrochet.com
used with kind permission


I might be making it in a different colorway. Stay tuned. 

Speaking of holidays and DIY, has everyone started to think about what gifts you plan to make? I stick by my motto "if I can't make it or bake it, they don't get it." If you knit/crochet/weave/spin or dye gifts for those worthy in your brood, then I sincerely hope you'll check out this year's Indie Designer Gift-A-Long 2014 on Ravelry. We're in the process of getting all the Pinterest boards together with each participating designers' designs, which will be on sale for a week starting 11/13. The Ravelry linky above leads to the gift-a-long group, which will have everyone participating in a grand gift-making mash-up, complete with games and prizes. I am extremely excited to be a participating designer this year (cause, you know, I don't have enough on my plate with Leather, Lace, Grit and Grace coming out at the end of December :) ). I'll be pinning up a storm for the next week, and then will be around the gift-a-long boards to ooh and ahhh at all the great gifts everyone completes. And please, everyone, this is inclusive - Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanzaa, and anything else I might be missing - it's just one, big holiday gift-fest. So get your DIY on, and I hope to see you there.

A collage of my designs that will be on sale starting next Friday in
my Ravelry shop. I do hope to see some Voie de Vie FOs around the GAL.
Now please head on over to Wisdom Begins in Wonder and see what everyone else is up to (fiber-wise) this week. I hope Andrea is having fun and spinning up a storm.

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait for your book collection! I keep my collection of your snowflakes at my work desk all year around. I was asked the other day why they hang up. First, I say that a friend made them and second, I say that it's not about winter...it's about no two ever being exactly alike. Plus they are so pretty. (I really need to learn how to crochet)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And no, you don't need to learn to crochet ... do it only if you want to. :)

      Delete
  2. Crochet seems like the perfect medium for snowflakes. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete