Friday, May 22, 2015

Hey, I Finished Something!

Happy Fee-Fi(ber)-F.O. Friday, everyone, on this day leading into the long holiday weekend here in the U.S.

I am thrilled to show off the first finished project from my Spring Flingy Thingy: it's the tester Summer Leaf version of my Autumn Leaf Shawl. I am absolutely thrilled with how this version turned out. 

Initially, I used two different fiber types from deep stash, so there's 1 1/2 skeins gone from stash. 

Secondly, don't you love how these two colorways worked together? The main colorway, weeping willow green from Huckleberry Knits is all about summer, and the Wollmeise green (which I currently cannot locate on the Wollmeise site) has an almost camo quality to it. Together, this is a summer leaf come to life in a shawl.
Additionally, I made this version larger than my original sample, and this larger size blocked really well. 

All in all, a really wonderful finished project, and I finally get on the finished project board in my own a-long. Geez. I was hoping to have my second finished project done today, but it didn't happen. Next week, after the holiday.


Original artwork from
Leather, Lace, Grit & Grace depicting WWII WASPs


My ode to WWII WASPs,
the WASP cowl.
I hope everyone has a relaxing, long weekend. Do take time to celebrate the reason for the weekend - remembering those who gave their lives during duty in the armed services. Given my Spring Flingy Thingy focus (mostly) on Leather, Lace, Grit & Grace, I'd like to take a moment and remember those Women Air Service Pilots (the WASPs) who gave their lives during WWII but have never formally been recognized by any branch of the U.S. armed forces. They provided an invaluable service during the second World War, and there are very few still alive today to keep their stories going. I'll be making a WASP Cowl for myself to commemorate their service - in various blues and cream, the color of sky and clouds.

And I expect my weekend will include lots of great food and fiber. Happy Memorial Day!







3 comments: