Friday, October 1, 2010

Fall

October 1st. It always heralds my favorite time of year – fall. I love everything about fall – the colors, the textures, that nip in the air, a stray flower displaying its final bloom. I also welcome the tastes of fall, and love farmers’ markets at this time of year. This is when the real farm bounty is on display.

Best memories of fall: definitely leaf peeping. I have managed to live in places where fall puts on a great show. The orange, red, green and gold of it never fails to please.

Other great memories: good food! There can be no better time of year than fall to sneak one, last meal

en plein air. One might need to bundle up in a sweater (and, hopefully, one that’s handmade!), but there is no other time that meals taste heartier, wine more complex, and conversations more animated and friendly than in the twilight of an outdoor fall evening.

If one can be lucky enough to combine all of this – in a harvest dinner like the one I attended last year (shown in the photo) – well, it just doesn’t get much better.


How do you celebrate fall? Leaf peeping? Apple picking? Drinking wine with friends? Getting together to start fall textile projects? I’d love to hear – so feel free to leave a comment, and let’s compare celebratory notes, shall we?

2 comments:

  1. Bonjour Denise, I love fall too -- especially "leaf peeping". And I wish I had a homemade sweater to put on! Oh, just saw George Bailey (just below), as I type this. Wonderful.

    Hugs from here. P.S.: loved seeing the harvest photo. Ah, memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chere Kristin: Thanks, and I hope this year's vendage is aging well in the tanks. That was a great, fun dinner (although we WORKED for it, as I know you are well aware).

    Wishing you the best from here - Denise

    ReplyDelete