Friday, June 21, 2013

Summer ... into Fall

Publishing schedules can have a way of folding seasons in on each other - especially if seasonal publishing timeframes are tinkered with, as is the case with Crochet! Magazine. They changed their publishing schedule some time ago, although the results are just now being felt - no sooner did their summer issue come out, now they've released their Autumn 2013 issue.

Of course, this time compression is great for designers who wait endlessly for designs to be released into the crafty wild. I'm no exception: I'm thrilled to show you, straight on the heels of my summer  La Peinture Blanket my latest design - the Tunisian Meets Tartan Bag:


Image used with kind permission of Annie's

I was definitely channeling my inner Celt at the beginning of the year (although I'm convinced if I ever followed my family history back far enough, one side would be Scottish or Irish, even though my roots here in North America are all French Canadian), and this was the result: a great, roomy bag that's still easy to carry, yet allows for all kinds of color creativity (one person on Ravelry commented that it was the "best looking crochet bag ever" - I don't know about that, but I do thank the commenter). I am particularly pleased with the zipper (it's easier than you think, really!) and the wonderful silk-like red paisley lining.

This design makes the most of the elements of tunisian simple stitch (the basic tunisian crochet stitch) which, when done, creates vertical "channels" that were the perfect backdrop for some tartan-inspired slip stitch crochet surface work.

While I love this color combo, I also supplied swatches for two different color combinations that I think the magazine may show (at least that was the plan, but I haven't seen my hard copy yet so am uncertain what made it to print). I am planning on creating another of these bags for myself in early fall (and I'll be doing it very publicly so that everyone can see how easy it is to make such a complicated-looking bag), and so I got together all of my balls/skeins of Cascade 220 I had on hand (the yarn used for the sample bag):



I must admit, I didn't quite realize I had so many Cascade 220 colors on hand! Putting that aside, what colors would you use to create your own tartan-inspired bag? I like using three colors for the main fabric, and adding one more color for the slip stitch vertical rows, but that's just me. One can use more or less, depending on preference and/or clan colors. So, channel your inner clan and tell me what colors you'd gravitate toward.
 
Don't forget to also channel your inner Wonder Why Gal and head on over to Wisdom Begins in Wonder to see what other fibery time warps people are experiencing this Fee-Fi(ber)-F.O. Friday.

11 comments:

  1. I *really* like the bag, but hate tartan. So I could just do it plain :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that bag. You know, when I first looked at it, I thought it was woven. Congratulations on having another pattern published.

    I look at all of those balls of yarn (I have quite the Cascade inventory too) and the possibilties are delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta say it again, the bag is friggin' awesome! You're French Canadian? I knew there was something about you I liked ;-)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am American by birth, but all of my relatives on both sides of the family are French Canadian. Three of my four grandparents (if memory serves - definitely two, though) were born in Canada and fairly easily crossed the border at the turn of the 20th century, before WWI tightened up security considerably. That's how a lot of New England was settled - by French Canadians coming south to work in mills and at other trades, because in many instances both workers and boss could speak the same language - the French Canadian patois. :)

      Delete
  4. Congrats! The bag is so snappy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a really great bag. I'm kind of scared about projects I have to sew, though; zippers? Yikes! Love the possibilities of the pile of yarn balls, what fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no - don't be afraid! I hear you about the sewing (really!), but I don't own a sewing machine and I can do it. I promise you can do it too. :)

      Delete
  6. The bag is awesome! Going to add it to my queue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I kind of fell off the earth for a few weeks, LOL! I LOVE this bag. LOVE! Is the mag in stores yet? I must make one. I don't know what colors yet. I quite like the ones in the sample.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melisa - it's available electronically right now at their website, and will be available at newsstands after the 4th of July.

      Delete
  8. Love your pile of Cascade 220 round balls. If I make the tartan bag I'd definitely use dark reds and greens, maybe blues and grays, no orange or white.

    ReplyDelete