Monday, April 21, 2014

(Just Another) Melange Monday

Raw materials for my latest
completed design.
Happy Monday, everyone. I write this keenly aware that the Boston Marathon is being run today. I wish all those involved - either as athlete, spectator, or race support/infrastructure - a gloriously happy event. Forever strong Boston. Forever strong.

                                                          
                      ********************

I have a new design to announce ... as well as a test. As I blogged about previously, I donated a design to an upcoming e-book project, Knitting for Gold, that aims to raise funds for childhood cancer research. I am supremely pleased to be able to show you the finished project:


Say hello to my newest favorite accessory: the Amber Bling bag. This 5 1/4" high x 6" wide bag is all kinds of blingy fun and rather adorbs, wouldn't you agree? The interplay of textures and materials made it fun to create. Superwash merino puffs are interspersed with wool stainless steel rows that are studded with size 6 seed beads in a medley of amber hues. (FYI - gold is the color of childhood cancer awareness.) It's lined with a double thickness of semi-sheer organza, is attached to a lovely purse frame and then topped off with pre-made chain link that's been adorned with a little more wool stainless steel and beads. The lobster claws at each end make it easy to remove the handle and use it as a clutch. I am rather pleased with the final result, if I do say so myself. I also want to thank Lion Brand Yarn for generously donating the yarn for this project. 

And now for the test part. I am in the process of working out a good place on Ravelry to put this pattern through its paces. If you would be interested in joining the test (which should get underway sometime this week), do feel free to leave me a comment here on the blog, along with a good way to reach you electronically. Once the test site is worked out and the test thread is set up, I'll contact you and you can come on over and participate. There are no prizes or anything; you'll be doing this for a gorgeous new bag as well as tester glory (very important, in my book).

And an update on Kellie Huffman's daughter Bronwyn, the impetus behind this childhood cancer research project. She received a new heart a little over a week ago. I must tell you that I cannot wrap my brain around the concept of someone else's heart beating within me. While the initial reports from Kellie are positive concerning Bronwyn's recovery from the heart transplant, I wonder if she feels like she's having an out-of-body experience. Just amazing.

1 comment:

  1. That's a fun clutch to sashay around with for an evening or day outing. Ho'omaka'i.

    ReplyDelete